Saturday 18 August 2007

Tree Vs. Bear

(View Daily Bread)
Jeremiah 8:4-12 (NIV)
Sin and Punishment

4 "Say to them, 'This is what the Lord says:

" 'When men fall down, do they not get up?
When a man turns away, does he not return?
5 Why then have these people turned away?
Why does Jerusalem always turn away?
They cling to deceit;
they refuse to return.
6 I have listened attentively,
but they do not say what is right.
No one repents of his wickedness,
saying, "What have I done?"
Each pursues his own course
like a horse charging into battle.
7 Even the stork in the sky
knows her appointed seasons,
and the dove, the swift and the thrush
observe the time of their migration.
But my people do not know
the requirements of the Lord.

8 " 'How can you say, "We are wise,
for we have the law of the Lord,"
when actually the lying pen of the scribes
has handled it falsely?
9 The wise will be put to shame;
they will be dismayed and trapped.
Since they have rejected the word of the Lord,
what kind of wisdom do they have?
10 Therefore I will give their wives to other men
and their fields to new owners.
From the least to the greatest,
all are greedy for gain;
prophets and priests alike,
all practice deceit.
11 They dress the wound of my people
as though it were not serious.
"Peace, peace," they say,
when there is no peace.
12 Are they ashamed of their loathsome conduct?
No, they have no shame at all;
they do not even know how to blush.
So they will fall among the fallen;
they will be brought down when they are punished,
says the Lord.
__________________________________________________________

Lord today's message almost seems to be directing to the problem that I had.

Many a times, I find myself being pretty confused over some of these matters. We are commanded to love, but what should we do if others step over us? What if we confront when we are hurt, but the other parties see no wrong? What if we explain, but they refuse to listen? Do we really not yoke with unbelievers then, when we should reach and spread Your Word out to them?

Father the incident that happened days ago really serves as a very good learning opportunity as I spent time to reflect. I was quick to anger, being prideful to certain issues even to the extent of self-righteousness (maybe?), and certainly did not have patience that mimics Jesus. I saw the speck of dust in the other party's eyes, and not the plank in mine.

I come to You with a heart of repentance Father. I want to turn away from my several character flaws that may become a barrier to daily communication with other people. In addition, tame the tongues of all parties involved and allow all of us to learn to listen. Listening empowers communication and I really learn this through the hard way.

I pray that the ill feelings will dissipate from within my heart, as a resolution to the problem before I head to church tomorrow, for there would not be a point in going to church if the burden is still unsettled. Thank You Lord.

No comments: