Thursday 23 August 2007

The Tipping Point

(View Daily Bread)
Romans 12:1-8 (NIV)
Living Sacrifices

1 Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God—this is your spiritual act of worship. 2 Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.

3 For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the measure of faith God has given you. 4 Just as each of us has one body with many members, and these members do not all have the same function, 5 so in Christ we who are many form one body, and each member belongs to all the others. 6 We have different gifts, according to the grace given us. If a man's gift is prophesying, let him use it in proportion to his faith. 7 If it is serving, let him serve; if it is teaching, let him teach; 8 if it is encouraging, let him encourage; if it is contributing to the needs of others, let him give generously; if it is leadership, let him govern diligently; if it is showing mercy, let him do it cheerfully.
__________________________________________________________

Once upon a time there was an unbeliever by the name of Lionel. He perpetually made a lot of excuses not to go to church. Not having the time is the generic excuse, and from there spun all other excuses.

"No, I have work to do."
"It's so late for church I don't want to go in. It's so embarrassing."
"I don't want to just go in to say 'Amen', and come out."
"I'm very tired."
"I've overslept."
"There's always next Sunday."

Bit by bit, after attending church for some time, he started believing but he's still a Sunday Christian. The other days of each week had no traces of God. Going to church seems to be just a mundane Sunday activity, where more exciting activities were planned after service.

Bit by bit, after hearing more every Sunday, he decided to go deeper into God's Word. He attended bible classes and cell groups. Through these sources, his faith grew, but yet he was still lazy. Daily reading of God's Word was something that he considered his personal time being robbed. He had other things that he had planned to use those times for, to self-study things which interest him, to entertain himself with games, or to sleep more.

Bit by bit, and after a bit more, the once unbeliever became who I am today. Over time, these little bits and pieces of treasured experiences that You had planned for me, fixed me for my daily commitment to You. Through this journey I learnt to surrender myself, over and over, to Your will. You have plans that are of ultimate goodness for us, and we will receive Your blessings and spiritual gifts if only we surrender ourselves to You.

Lord I forgot when was my tipping point, or what caused it. No matter when that happened, no matter what it was, I can be sure that it is You who made me grow.
1 Corinthians 3:6-7 (NIV)
6 I planted the seed, Apollos watered it, but God made it grow. 7 So neither he who plants nor he who waters is anything, but only God, who makes things grow.

I'm so happy that You found me, and guided me back onto You. I pray for Your continuous guidance and light upon my path Lord, so I will not be lost again. I surrender myself entirely to You.
Philippians 1:21 (NIV)
For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain.

No comments: