Monday 27 August 2007

The Lingo

(View Daily Bread)
1 Corinthians 9:19-23 (NIV)
19 Though I am free and belong to no man, I make myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible. 20 To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the law I became like one under the law (though I myself am not under the law), so as to win those under the law. 21 To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God's law but am under Christ's law), so as to win those not having the law. 22 To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all men so that by all possible means I might save some. 23 I do all this for the sake of the gospel, that I may share in its blessings.
__________________________________________________________

Father God this message hits a nail on my head. I've often used such Christian terminologies when talking to friends, in hope that I might be able to give a spark in their lives regarding You. Some people who did not understand any of the terms that I used will ask why, but mostly others just kept quiet, which I would plainly assumed that they actually got what I was trying to convey.

Now as I reflect on those past experiences, it seems like I am wrong to assume that way! Standing on the viewpoint of an unbeliever, if I'm not interested in the topic, and whatever words that I receive required an additional level of thinking or reflecting, I might just leave it be and keep quiet, or laugh away as a response.

As I read today's message, I remembered how I began to learn Your Word. At first I was shy and did not dare to ask any questions regarding terms that I did not understand. That period was spiritually dry as there were just too many terms that I dare not seek out. Learning truly took place when I bothered to find out.

I can’t wait for people to find out, now can I? Wouldn't it be great if I spread Your great news in plain simple lingo where everyone can understand without asking what they mean or flipping the dictionary to find out?

I can’t make sure that others will search up for things that they did not understand, but I can make sure I use simpler words so they don’t have to search in the first place. Lord I pray for Your wisdom in choosing the correct words to bring forth Your news of salvation to the masses of unbelievers.

No comments: