Wednesday 22 August 2007

Inner Peace

(View Daily Bread)
Isaiah 53:7-9 (NIV)
7 He was oppressed and afflicted,
yet he did not open his mouth;
he was led like a lamb to the slaughter,
and as a sheep before her shearers is silent,
so he did not open his mouth.
8 By oppression and judgment he was taken away.
And who can speak of his descendants?
For he was cut off from the land of the living;
for the transgression of my people he was stricken.
9 He was assigned a grave with the wicked,
and with the rich in his death,
though he had done no violence,
nor was any deceit in his mouth.
__________________________________________________________

Father God, I know there’s still a lot for me to learn. My pride always seems to get the better of me in a lot of circumstances. Whenever I feel insulted, criticised, mocked or accused, a huge mixture of self defense and pride will swell within me, and then I will lose control of my brain and rubbish will spill forth from my mouth. The results that these actions yield are probably not worth mentioning.

As I started reading regularly on Your Word not too long ago, I learned to tame my tongue whenever I feel that huge swell. Even though I kept quiet in such situations, and try to let go, I could not feel any sense of peace at all. Hurt is the strongest feeling registered, and I have a powerful urge to say something back, either to make myself feel better, or to clarify the situation.

Deep down in me, I know nothing good will be reaped in that state of impulse.

Lord Jesus, You are an excellent example of how I should live my life. There are many things that I do not understand at the moment, so all the more I pray for Your guidance on the road to find inner peace and a better grip on my pride. This is one area of my life that I really need Your help on.

Father God, let there be less of me, and more of You.

No comments: