Saturday 1 September 2007

Refusing Help

(View Daily Bread)
2 Kings 5:9-14 (NIV)
9 So Naaman went with his horses and chariots and stopped at the door of Elisha's house. 10 Elisha sent a messenger to say to him, "Go, wash yourself seven times in the Jordan, and your flesh will be restored and you will be cleansed."

11 But Naaman went away angry and said, "I thought that he would surely come out to me and stand and call on the name of the LORD his God, wave his hand over the spot and cure me of my leprosy. 12 Are not Abana and Pharpar, the rivers of Damascus, better than any of the waters of Israel? Couldn't I wash in them and be cleansed?" So he turned and went off in a rage.

13 Naaman's servants went to him and said, "My father, if the prophet had told you to do some great thing, would you not have done it? How much more, then, when he tells you, 'Wash and be cleansed'!" 14 So he went down and dipped himself in the Jordan seven times, as the man of God had told him, and his flesh was restored and became clean like that of a young boy.
__________________________________________________________

Too many a times have I found myself acting similarly like Naaman. Memories served well to remind myself that there were many instances where I had rejected sound advice or kind help, and landed myself deep in struggles in numerous areas of my life.

My pride and stubbornness is often a fatal block in getting things done, yet few are the times when I have the ability to recognise it. Having confidence is a good thing, but being conceited is a total different issue altogether.

Lord I pray for the gift of Your wisdom, that in times of troubles when I’m so blinded with my own things and unable to see the greater picture, let me not turn a deaf ear to the sound advice that the people around me provides.

Man is not created to live alone, and Father I’m thankful for the patient friends that You have blessed me with, who kept going with me regardless of the number of times that I failed. All praises to You O Lord.

No comments: