Tuesday 10 July 2007

Miracle Or Magic?

(View Daily Bread)
John 10:22-42 (NIV)
The Unbelief of the Jews

22 Then came the Feast of Dedication at Jerusalem. It was winter, 23 and Jesus was in the temple area walking in Solomon's Colonnade. 24 The Jews gathered around him, saying, "How long will you keep us in suspense? If you are the Christ, tell us plainly."

25 Jesus answered, "I did tell you, but you do not believe. The miracles I do in my Father's name speak for me, 26 but you do not believe because you are not my sheep. 27 My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. 28 I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one can snatch them out of my hand. 29 My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all; no one can snatch them out of my Father's hand. 30 I and the Father are one."

31 Again the Jews picked up stones to stone him, 32 but Jesus said to them, "I have shown you many great miracles from the Father. For which of these do you stone me?"

33 "We are not stoning you for any of these," replied the Jews, "but for blasphemy, because you, a mere man, claim to be God."

34 Jesus answered them, "Is it not written in your Law, 'I have said you are gods'? 35 If he called them 'gods,' to whom the word of God came - and the Scripture cannot be broken - 36 what about the one whom the Father set apart as his very own and sent into the world? Why then do you accuse me of blasphemy because I said, 'I am God's Son'? 37 Do not believe me unless I do what my Father does. 38 But if I do it, even though you do not believe me, believe the miracles, that you may know and understand that the Father is in me, and I in the Father." 39 Again they tried to seize him, but he escaped their grasp.

40 Then Jesus went back across the Jordan to the place where John had been baptizing in the early days. Here he stayed 41 and many people came to him. They said, "Though John never performed a miraculous sign, all that John said about this man was true." 42 And in that place many believed in Jesus.
__________________________________________________________

Father Lord, it's strange that I had never doubted the miracles that Jesus performed. Probably I could be skeptical and say it's probably a woven story. I might say that Jesus' disciples are being exaggerative and mentioned 5000 people were fed by Jesus' broken bread when there was only in fact a handful. I could even be an atheist and say that Jesus taught his disciples to lie and that all of these had never actually happened before.

But no Lord, ever since I read the Your Word, I had faith, even though it may be blind faith, that all these miracles that Jesus did really happened and were a part of human history. What I probably lacked in doing is that I did not put myself in the shoes as one person in the 5000 strong crowd, to experience the magnitude of that miracle.

My Lord Jesus, I believe in You. It's probably the firmest rock that I can stand and rely on amidst this fading world. I will rather believe in you than in anything else.

God I pray that You will bless me with a steadfast heart that does not doubt Your existence, is not skeptical in the miracles that happened, and definitely not one of unbelief. Instead Lord, quicken my heartbeat to be in sync with Yours Lord, so that I may trust and believe, and be able to perform good works in Your name.

All praises be unto you Father.

No comments: