Saturday 6 January 2007

Total Giving

(View Daily Bread)
Mark 12:41-44 (NIV)
The Widow's Offering

41 Jesus sat down opposite the place where the offerings were put and watched the crowd putting their money into the temple treasury. Many rich people threw in large amounts. 42 But a poor widow came and put in two very small copper coins, worth only a fraction of a penny.

43 Calling his disciples to him, Jesus said, "I tell you the truth, this poor widow has put more into the treasury than all the others. 44 They all gave out of their wealth; but she, out of her poverty, put in everything—all she had to live on."
__________________________________________________________

I will always remember this message that was printed a piece of pink paper, being glued onto a small box right beside the door of the first church that I attend, carrying the message, "God loves a cheerful giver".

At that time, I was not a fervent Christian, and I was being quite a miser during the usual offerings session. Being skeptical to a certain extent, I did not believe that whatever I give to God, God will actually give me back. This thought used to ring in my head, “If I give Him $10, He’ll give me back? Then why He wants me to give Him the money in the first place?”

Thus at that time, I will only give $2, and I'm not being a cheerful giver at all.

Over the years, as I mature as a person, I begin to think about more than just God giving me back my money. Though I know the limitation of my finite mind, here are two issues that I can think of.

The money that goes to the church will in turn be used to help other needy people, whereby their lives may be touched by Christ, without me ever knowing! Another will be to cover the operational cost of maintaining the church, so that people can actually come to Christ to listen to His messages.

Keeping this thought in mind, my faith grew and I became a much more cheerful and generous giver. I learnt too, that I misunderstood His message. It is not that He will give me back my money, but it is that He will bless me in ways that I have no control over, because of my faith in Him.

As a result of my increased faith, I have experienced the change that God brings in me. My life, though not always smooth, has been smoother, and I feel that I am indeed blessed by God in more ways than one, in more ways than I can explain.

How true it is, that giving is easier when you give yourself to the Lord. And rest assured that God will bless you exponentially when you have faith and trust in Him, just like what the widow did.