Wednesday 3 January 2007

An Eternal Perspective

(View Daily Bread)
Colossians 3:1-7 (NIV)
Rules for Holy Living

1 Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is seated at the right hand of God. 2 Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things. 3 For you died, and your life is now hidden with Christ in God. 4 When Christ, who is your life, appears, then you also will appear with him in glory.

5 Put to death, therefore, whatever belongs to your earthly nature: sexual immorality, impurity, lust, evil desires and greed, which is idolatry. 6 Because of these, the wrath of God is coming. 7 You used to walk in these ways, in the life you once lived.
__________________________________________________________

Having an eternal perspective is great, but I guess many a times as humans, we get too caught up with the rat-race. Strangely though, just when I thought I'm running out of time in my project, doing my daily devotional and praising God will calm me down and prepare me for the day.

It's true I believe, that when you choose to praise God in the harshest of times, when everything seems adverse and odds are stacking, He'll show you his way in the subtlest of ways, and the hardest things are not so big a problem after all.

I like this snippet from a particular paragraph that teaches about what God values in today's reading:
Throughout the pages of the Bible, He reminds us that He values people above possessions and our character above our performance. Those are the truths that last forever. - Bill Crowder
I used to ponder, what does Jesus mean when He said, "Lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal" (Matt. 6:20), but now I do.

Moth, rust and thieves can't take over our soul or character in heaven. These things are eternal, and so are what God looks for. So what we have to do during our limited span of time in life, is to do things that'll touch people's lives, and cultivating our character. These stays with us, till forever and ever.

No comments: