Monday 24 March 2008

Just Jewelry?

(View Daily Bread)
Matthew 27:22-26 (NIV)
22 "What shall I do, then, with Jesus who is called Christ?" Pilate asked.

They all answered, "Crucify him!"

23 "Why? What crime has he committed?" asked Pilate.

But they shouted all the louder, "Crucify him!"

24 When Pilate saw that he was getting nowhere, but that instead an uproar was starting, he took water and washed his hands in front of the crowd. "I am innocent of this man's blood," he said. "It is your responsibility!"

25 All the people answered, "Let his blood be on us and on our children!"

26 Then he released Barabbas to them. But he had Jesus flogged, and handed him over to be crucified.
__________________________________________________________

When I first attended a church at the age of 12, naively without any faith in Christ, I wanted a silver cross necklace to be worn. Just for fun as a matter of fact.

It wasn't that long thereafter that I stopped attending service because my elder brother couldn't bring me there, and I guess it must have been God's will that the same necklace got broken and lost without me even knowing. If I recalled correctly, upon the loss I did not even panic.

Now that I'm a believer of Christ and shares a relationship with God, wearing a cross no longer seems important. For I believe, that people will see me as a Christ-follower not by the cross that's hanging upon my neck, but by my actions and my deeds. If I lose the cross in my heart now, I will truly panic.

Father Lord, I look to You daily for direction in my life. Even though I'm still not sure what the phrase "taking up my cross daily" means, I trust You that You will reveal it to me when I'm ready. Thank You Father for guiding me through. Amen.

No comments: